Freeman Foundation Community College Program
The Freeman Foundation Community College Program exists to promote international understanding through support for intensive second language training and international travel with study abroad opportunities to China, Japan, or Korea. Freeman Foundation provides financial support for full-time University of Hawai'i Community College students with the intent to incorporate intensive language training and international educational into the academic programs of each participant.
A maximum of ten Freeman Foundation Scholarships are awarded each semester. The scholarships support students in a variety of studies and provide qualified participants the opportunity to enroll in a one-year intensive program. Students selected for the Freeman Foundation Scholarship are required to enroll in 12 credit units during the first semester for an intensive content-based second language program offered at Kapiolani Community College. Sequentially, and pending successful completion of the intensive course, students will study abroad in China, Japan, Korea, or Vietnam for the remaining duration of the intensive program.
Eligibility and Criteria
- All candidates to the Freeman Foundation Community College Program must be citizens of the United States of America.
- Awards to students in good academic standing will be made on the basis of academic merit, in which, candidates must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Candidates must be full-time (9 credits or more) status at a University of Hawaii Community College, in which the applicant is registered for at least a second semester of study at any of the UHCC campuses.
- All candidates must be degree-seeking students from a recognized field of study.
- No knowledge of target language is required.
No more than college level 101 in the target language is acceptable.
If you are currently in 102 level course, then you are not eligible to apply.
- Awards will be given only for the duration of one academic year.
- Recipients may be awarded a Freeman Foundation Community College Scholarship only once.
The Freeman Foundation Program is currently offering scholarships for Japan studies. Scholarships for Japan studies will be coming soon. Applications should be posted March 21, 2014. Applications for the Japan Program scholarship are due and must be postmarked by:
- Japan Program – March 21, 2014
- China Program – March 21, 2014
The Freeman Foundation Application and Supporting Materials will include the following forms. These forms are available in PDF Format. In order to view the document you must download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Freeman-Japan Application Form
- Freeman-China Application Form
- Request for Transcript Form
- Grade Sheet
1. Complete Freeman Foundation Scholarship Application Form.
The application form is available in PDF format for your reference. Please be sure to fill in all necessary information and print-out and sign before submitting application form. Incomplete applications will be ineligible for further review.
2. Write Personal Statement.
Candidates must enclose a double-spaced 2-3 page personal statement describing the applicant's academic and career objectives, and the importance of an international experience in relation to meeting those objectives.
3. Request two confidential letters of recommendation.
Candidates must provide two confidential letters of recommendation. Letters must be written by faculty who has either been a previous/current instructor to the applicant or an administrator who is familiar with the applicant's academic work.
4. Request UHCC College OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT.
Candidates must provide all University of Hawaii Community College (UHCC) OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS in order for application to be considered. Failure to comply will result in the students’ ineligibility for further review.
Even if this is your first semester at UHCC, you must submit your OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT to us so that we can verify your registered courses. In addition, you also need to submit completed CURRENT GRADE SHEET.
Note: A personal interview will also be required of selected applicants.
5. Submit Application Materials & Related Documents to HIC.
Application materials and related documents must be submitted to:
Kapiolani Community College
Attention: Freeman Japan or China Program
c/o Honda International Center
4303 Diamond Head Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816