Campus Safety & Security
Kapiolani Community College (KCC) is firmly committed to providing a safe and secure campus environment. Campus Security is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Off-Campus Phone Number: 808.734.9900
On-Campus Extension: x9900
As KCC supplements its Security Department with a contract guard service, the KCC security number (734.9900 or x9900) is often forwarded to a cell phone carried by the contracted guards on duty.
Campus security provides transportation or a walking escort from dusk to dawn for anyone walking alone on campus at night. By dialing "9900", from an on-campus phone, an escort can be summoned to your location.
- Travel and park in lighted areas; travel in pairs if possible; be aware of your surroundings; use the escort service.
- Report any suspicious persons or activities; report all incidents no matter how minor; report losses immediately.
- Be sure to lock and secure window and doors in your room or office; lock cars and bikes; store valuables in the trunk of your car.
- Never loan keys to anyone. Keys may be lost, stolen, or duplicated.
- Don't leave belongings and valuables unattended. Mark or engrave your belongings.
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of phones and the security office.
Reporting Suspicious Activity
The first thing to do is ensure your own safety.
Next, contact campus security immediately. State what the problem is and the location of the incident. You could say "someone is hiding in the bushes in the Kopiko parking lot" or "someone is walking on the roof of the Koa building." Then give as much information about the people involved, e.g., how many are involved and a description of what they are wearing.
Do not confront a person who is doing something illegal; call security.
Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to report all suspicious activities and persons observed on campus. Such calls should be made promptly to improve security's ability to apprehend suspects and prevent potential crimes. Upon receipt of a call, security officers are dispatched immediately to the site of the emergency. All incidents are investigated and a report is filed by the investigating officer.
Campus janitorial staff work until 11:00 p.m. M-F and can aid in contacting security. Staff members wear blue t-shirts with auxiliary services logo and nametags.
Emergency Phone Numbers
If you have an emergency, dial 911 from any public or on-campus phone.
- Campus security
- From off-campus 808.734.9900
- From on-campus ext. 9900
- Honolulu Police department 911
- Honolulu Fire department 911
If you dial 911 for an ambulance or other emergency such as fire, call campus security immediately after to notify them.